RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMR 100" Twin 30cc powered kit
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 12:39 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Aloha Guys,
Today I managed to lay out the horizontal stabilizer and elevator. Step 86 tells you to pull out parts S1, S2, S3 & S4, these pieces make up your horizontal stab. Step 86 also tells you to lay out E1, E2 and E3, and these three pieces make up your elevator (step 86 ~ step 89 deal with assembling these parts). You will notice on the stab, towards the bottom, there are two holes pre cut into S3 (like with the rudder), that needs to be filled with a cut dowel piece and glued into S3. This is to support the screws that hold on your tail wheel assembly. The instructions do not say anything about this, but you will find the dowel piece in the kit, and you might as well cut four pieces of that dowel, 3/8" thick. Yo will need two for the tail wheel and two for the elevators. After I cut my rudder dowel piece, I center drilled mine to accept a 10/32 cap headed screw.

I am modifying my elevator to more match my rudders shape. I will also use 3/8" sq. bass wood for the trailing edge of the horizontal stab and the leading edge of the elevators. I will pre drill these to accept Robart hinge points per Leroy's' example above. I've cut my most all my wood, but I still need to cut my four dowel pieces.

Just a note here...Yes I modified my elevator, but the square area of the horizontal stab, is equal to, or a bit more then what comes in the kit. I will also need to modify the stab to mount it onto the fuselage. I've modified my kit to have a removable stabilizer and all the modifications will be dealt with, in the stab build up.

The stock kits horizontal stabilizer is 38" long and I made mine a couple of inches longer, with my modifications to its shape...yes...its a big one.

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	G.U.S.T. - 29 002.JPG
Views:	251
Size:	164.7 KB
ID:	2006573   Click image for larger version

Name:	G.U.S.T. - 29 003.JPG
Views:	254
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	2006574   Click image for larger version

Name:	G.U.S.T. - 29 004.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	2006575  

Last edited by Bob Paris; 06-18-2014 at 09:38 PM. Reason: always to correct spelling and my english