RCU Forums - View Single Post - AMR 100" Twin 30cc powered kit
View Single Post
Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 PM
Bob Paris
My Feedback: (13)

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Hay Leroy,
I to run into issues with RCU being slow...and not being able to repost or correct my spelling or grammar. But it is what it is and I work around it the best I can.

Good idea for the balanced elevators...interesting idea and may follow your advice. I'm new to building large RC models...and for me...this is the largest I've ever built. I'm most probably over building it a bit, especially the tail feathers. I skinned the vertical stab with 1/64" ply and I'm currently skinning the rudder. To me...the rudder and vertical fin, didn't seem stiff enough, but after I applied the 1/64" ply, the lack of stiffness was no longer an issue.

The elevator on this model is split into two pieces. So I will have two HD1501BBMG servo's putting out 200+ "/oz. of torque each to drive each elevator half. I like the idea of balanced flight controls, of dampening flutter. I've witnessed more then one model re-kit over flutter.

Box Car

The wing of this model is 106" long and the span of my modified horizontal stab is 42", with the kits supplied stab being 38" long. I'm close to your figures and I'm not really making my stab that much larger. I cut a rear rake in mine, on the leading edge of the horizontal stab. What I added onto the stab's tip ends, made up most of what I lost on the leading edge modification. All in all, my modifications are close to the kits stock figures. I'm not new to building or flying Ugly Sticks...I've probably built over two dozen Ugly Sticks over the years and all flew like a dream. Twins, three engines and even two, four engine Ugly Sticks. I've powered them with Cox .020's to 20cc gas engines...and no matter what anyone can say...Ugly Sticks are the most predictable and relaxing to fly, then just about any other model...not counting the Piper Cub.

You have a unusual pen name...BOX CAR. Does that have anything to do with a B-29 that flew out of North Field, on Tinian Island in 1945 ?

Soft Landings Always,
Bobby of Maui