RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"
Old 06-23-2014, 06:30 PM
JohnShe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bradpaul
This deserves it's own thread, and note that this FAA document is open for comments for 30 days.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives..._spec_rule.pdf

What I saw that will be controversial is that it bans the use of FPV goggles for the person flying the aircraft.

By definition, a model aircraft must be “flown within visual line of sight of the
person operating the aircraft.

They even acknowledge that the AMA has a different opinion. A big problem for FPV.
Wow, the special rule document is 17 pages of fun, a real page turner. It is open for public comment for 30 days starting from an unspecified date. One thing I noticed was the lack of consideration for a buddy box when flying FPV. Without a buddy box, FPV is DOA. With a Buddy Box, there is a LOS pilot who can take control of the aircraft at any time. I suppose some people will comment on that. I intend to carefully reread it a few times to see if my recreational use of model aircraft may be unnecessarily impeded. In which case I may make a comment.