RCU Forums - View Single Post - ~~SIG Brotherhood ~~
View Single Post
Old 06-24-2014, 06:27 AM
I_Fly

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by acdii
I'm taking a chance on a TF P-51 ARF, if I am going to wreck a warbird while learning, rather it be a $299 one than one I spent $1000 on and years to build. So far construction on it is pretty good, just getting it ready to fly now, have to balance it, get the proper nut for the spinner attachment, and set the throws and it is ready for its maiden flight.

I did a lot of practice landings with my 4* the other day, it is set up with Flaperons so I can slow it down on landing. I reduced the prop to a 16x6 which helped a lot, and other then coming up short on one landing and dropping it into the ditch just before the runway, they have been pretty good, so I am just about ready to fly the Mustang. Take offs and flying, not a problem, its the landing that I have concerns with, would hate to drop a wing on landing. Flying this one on my JR 12X since I can set auto land for the flaps, they will slowly deploy at 30% throttle, so if I have to throttle up they will retract to avoid a pitch up.
Reading your post two things come to mind.

The correct flaps setup is helpful on this model. When i was setting my plane up the recommended flap movement did not seem like enough. Reading this thread and others I setup some additional flap movement (beyond the 40 deg described to like 50). After flying the model I added even more. I think they go down to about 60 deg on my model and that really slows things down for landing. It also creates lots of drag so that some power can be kept on until just before touch down.

Landing with a bit of power on was new to me when I started with the mustang but it helps prevent problems with dropping a wing or undershooting the runway. Basically I cut the power back to 1/2 or a little less and deploy the flaps. Once the model slows a bit I put the wheels down. Most often I do this over the runway and have to turn 180 deg to get on a downwind base leg with appropriate altitude. After turning onto final I cut the power down to 1/4 or a bit less and let he model settle into a good decent rate. Once I'm lined up and just a foot or so above the ground I can slowly cut the power and apply back pressure to get it settled onto the runway. If I'm not lined up, too high, or the decent rate is not correct I have never had an issue with applying power and going around while the flaps were down.

The auto flaps seem like extra complication with potential to retract at the wrong time if a little power is applied to reduce the decent rate. That's just my opinion though.

Good luck!