RCU Forums - View Single Post - Quad Pilot Stands Up To Police
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 07:58 AM
loopdeeloop
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What seems to be missing in all of this is "common sense" on the part of the Quad operator. Even though there apparently was no restriction on flying RC aircraft in that park (although we don't know that for certain), common sense dictates parks can be busy places with varying numbers of people milling about. Any object (regardless of weight) falling from the sky can seriously injure a person. Anyone who has been in this hobby for more than an hour soon realizes (or should realize) the inherent danger in operating such a craft in a populated area. Only the "I don't care crowd" seem to feel it is the confrontation that is key to this encounter with law enforcement. Was the PD correct in the reasoning for the encounter? Probably not if that decision was based on what they though was a documented park use rule. If it was based solely on discretion with an eye toward public safety, then yes they were justified in the confrontation. Case in point! One year ago I was called by a friend who asked if it was legal to fly RC aircraft at the Water Park in their area. I responded that it is probably not illegal but certainly unwise and that I would investigate. Sure enough -- upon arrival I found two adults flying 40 size nitro planes from the parking lot at the water park. They were flying over houses on the other side of the street, there were kids riding bikes in the lot, and there were people in the water park. Not only that but they are within a mile of the local airport and on the glide path. After a lecture about AMA guidelines (and they had no idea who or what the AMA was), their obvious unconcern over safety, they grumbled and left. I later got a phone call from one gent who in no uncertain terms told me the FBO at the airport told him it was not "illegal" to fly where they were and that the police said there was no law regarding flying in city parks (note the city parks). It is reasonable to assume the FBO had no idea what the FAA/AMA guidelines were regarding RC aircraft. I'm betting that had an officer been on site there would have been a similar confrontation. How you feel about laws, ordinances and public officials is why we vote. Don't like how things are? Work to change it! And as have been shown, there are quad copter incidents that do bring bad light on this hobby. My personal feeling is RC aircraft of any type do not belong in public parks. But I respect the "privilege" of flying in parks provided AMA guidelines are followed. If a community prohibits park use for this activity then so be it. Living in the tundra, snowmobiling in the 60's and 70's used to fun until some folks began to disrespect private property and communities began restricting use of these machines -- all because a few cannot or refuse to act responsibly. So now there is a system of public trails. As for RC aircraft activities there is the AMA and many clubs that have safe places to fly and educate and instruct on safe operation. If you don't have a club in your area, form one. But I suspect "I want the government to give me a place" is the general feeling for those that feel they can fly anything, anywhere, anytime, and ignore the safety issue and the cops should have no say.