View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 11:52 AM
porcia83
Banned
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by astrohog
PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Can someone PLEASE explain to me why everyone is so concerned with MY safety and the safety of those that may be harmed by MY actions?

THAT IS MY RESPONSIBILITY NOT YOURS!!!!!!! IF I CAUSE HARM, I AM LIABLE, NOT YOU!!! THERE ARE LAWS AND LAWYERS AND JUDGES THAT PASS JUDGEMENT ON TO THOSE THAT CAUSE HARM. IT IS THEIR JOB, NOT YOURS!!! KEEP YOUR NOSE OUT OF MY BUSINESS AND MIND YOUR OWN!!!!!

Now, is that really that hard to comprehend? : )

Astro
I would have that that in typing the first question you asked, it would have been glaringly obvious and evident of what the answer would be.

It's stunning to see someone basically say don't worry about me and what I do, because if my actions cause injury/damage/harm/death, the courts can always sort it out afterwards. Is that your premise?

There is no absolute right to do whatever we want, whenever we want. Flying an RC item in an unsafe manner can cause injury and damage to property. I've seen the argument made (typically by FPV/Quad folks) that we all have risks everyday, so that in turn means they can fly where they want and when they want. I don't see the logic in that, basically one is putting their wants and needs over the safety of others. This of course can mean any RC flying object, but quads etc have certainly been in the news more than ever. The stories typically don't shed the best light on the hobby/means of flying. Why is that? Why don't we see more stories about planes and helis? I'll take a stab at that. It's because the quads etc are all usually caught doing something they shouldn't be doing, so of course that is going to get more attention. What is doing what they shouldn't be doing? How about flying over a public beach, or over the heads of runners, or spectators at an event, or better yet outside the window of woman's apartment who was changing. How about flying (and later crashing) through highrises in NYC?

This isn't really about quads versus planes versus helis or belonging to a club or AMA...it's about common sense. And while it might not technically be "illegal" to fly in certain places, in certain ways (at this point), that doesn't mean that it's something that should be done.

The "don't worry about me, mind your own business" attitude, combined with the continued instances of UAV/Quads being caught doing things they should be ( one only has to see the explosion of videos on all RC sites and elsewhere to see this behavior), will only play into the hands of the overreaching bureaucrats who are busy deciding the possible future of this hobby. To say nothing of what towns and cities are going to do with this. It will take a few instances (sort of like the one here where someone "stood up" to a cop), for local politicians to jump on the "ban" wagon.