RCU Forums - View Single Post - DERIVATIVE, New 2X2
View Single Post
Old 06-28-2014, 09:10 PM
MTK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RonMcCormick
Gotcha, thought I missed something. Have a link to Bob Hunts lost foam technique?
The technique is straight forward. Bob has described it on his Stunt column in MA a few times. It builds up from balsa spars and ribs. I was visiting with Bob recently and he suggested I try it his way, so I will and see for myself.

The sequence is as follows:
First, you need a foam core and husks. Heavier density than the typical wing core will work better as tooling material. 3lb density foam would be much better and last longer
Then you determine rib spacing and cut the foam core into pieces chordwise only with that spacing in mind. In new stab, spacing is 1.625".
Then you use the core sections as rib outlines
You will need to cut two sets of ribs of course
Work in as many lightening holes as you can muster in the ribs
Then lay the bottom sheet in the lower husk and start laying in the ribs. The foam sections are laid in accordingly holding ups and spacing the balsa ribs until the glue dries
The foam is then removed, and any additional reinforcements, sockets, elevator hard points, etc., are laid in
Then the top sheet is installed and top husk is laid over the top of the assembly.

When dry cut elevators (ailerons etc) and face them. Or it might be easier to lay down carbon veil or Japanese tissue over the semi complete surface, then cut

Bob tends to mold his LE and it's simple thing to actually do, if you have an accurate foam core. Molded LE saves weight and is more accurate than carving a balsa stick. I've been molding LE's of control surfaces for example, for a long time.....

I will take some snaps of the process as I go through it. It is labor intensive and isn't for those that want instant gratification of course but the weight savings are significant.