RCU Forums - View Single Post - 64 Thousand Dollar Question in Pattern Flying
Old 07-01-2014, 08:21 AM
Jeff Worsham
My Feedback: (28)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dean Pappas
Hello Malcolm,
What is interesting is that you describe the airplane as becoming noticeably unstable in yaw with an aft CG adjustment ... I strongly suspect that you are simply less unstable in yaw now.
Add side area in the tail: and I don't mean a measly 10 square inches per side, but at least 25 squares per side. I had 15 square inches per side of extra side area glued to the underside of the stab of my ARIEL back in the early 90's. That's what that airplane required in my opinion. It looped nicely outside, but in lumpy or crosswind conditions, it would drop a wing on insides. I think you have a yaw-roll couple issue.
1mm Perspex will be invisible at 150m!
Cheers,
Dean Pappas
Appreciate very much the intricacies and some of the conflicts we experience in trimming that are being discussed in this thread. I hope not to derail that with a quick side question for clarification: how can one test to know if the side area to be added should be greater above the stab, below the stab, or equal? IE: the stab fences that BJ Craft included with the Prolog and Nuance are of equal area above and below while the ones that were installed on my Sebart Wind S Pro have more area below the stab.