RCU Forums - View Single Post - 64 Thousand Dollar Question in Pattern Flying
Old 07-01-2014, 08:44 AM
Malcolm H

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

OK had a very interesting day at the field today. Went to our airfield site which is a combination of paved runways and large grass areas. It was warm for Scotland, 23-24 C, and a light breeze. Perfect thermally conditions and big bumps when you fly over the paved/grass transitions.

Had a flight with the model as previously flown except for the work done tightening up the strut ends and realigning one end. Only difference noted was a couple of clicks of aileron trim due to the strut now not twisting the bottom wing slightly to enter the top fixing. Lots of wing dropping and bobbling about in the bumpy air.

Then stuck on the 6mm Depron fences shown in pics with double sided tape. Total transformation! Much steadier and virtually no wing rock! It would still drop the odd wing in the big bumps but so did my colleagues Mythos which is usually rock steady. It was a particularly bumpy day. Just can't believe the difference a few bits of foam make!

Now need to engineer something permanent. Not sure whether to make fixed or removable. I have some 3mm carbon/Herex sandwich but can't see how to radius the cut edge simply. Probably won't make any difference aerodynamically but esthetically not nice to leave square.

I'm sure Brian and Matt will have some ideas!

Malcolm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	2010376   Click image for larger version

Views:	373
Size:	2.70 MB
ID:	2010377   Click image for larger version

Views:	420