RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club letter to local airports within five miles
Old 07-02-2014, 04:58 PM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hossfly

Now be realistic: Is it too much for a RC Club, working inside 5 statute miles of an active airport, to at least provide the Air Traffic Control, simply the Airport Tower which would forward any need of the active RC flying, to be ADVISED of said flying? ......................

Now for you RCers, is it too much to advise a local airport about RC models being in the air, when there are full scale machines using that airspace. The ATC controllers are always busy and they should be advised by YOU the user. (I do have some experience, 20,000 +/- hours over 41 years, 13 full military with other reserve, and 28 years UAL.) Bird and lightening strikes are bad enough, so why should Full Scale have to request your position when with a short, "Hey Guys, we are here playing with the toys today" would suffice. As a long time modeler, 44 years in RC, over 70 in CL, FF and RC, I think that is not too much to ask.
THINK, That small jet or recip. coming in for a visual approach with attention on getting safely onto a runway gets clobbered by a giant scale and snaps into the ground.
DO YOU WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THAT BECAUSE YOU ARE TOO LAZY TO CALL IN TO THE TOWER CONTROLLER? THINK ON IT!
Now go preach that Horrace Cain is a BAD choice for AMA office!
Let me back up and add to what Mr. Matt said.

Hoss, you do not understand the issue here and the exact reason people are upset about this topic.

The AMA, in the FAA Reauthorization bill in 2012 that included terms to give us some legal protection against the FAA regulating us PROMOTED the need for notification for airport managers and local ATC folks. I know not of a single AMA flyer or even non AMA member that think this is unreasonable, so you are preaching to the choir with your post.

That ain't the problem.

The FAA, in the recent letter they put out, is trying to twist the agreed upon notification of the airports and ATC into us being required to have permission from the airport and ATC. This change would subject us to endless individual interpretations, ignorance and prejudice by officials at local airports and ATC.

Go to the link below and read the last paragraph on page 13 and the rest of it on page 14.

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives..._spec_rule.pdf

I think you might a bad choice for the AMA if you don't take some time to fully understand important issues affecting modelers before commenting on them.

[SUP][SUP]
[/SUP][/SUP]

Last edited by Thomas B; 07-02-2014 at 05:03 PM.