RCU Forums - View Single Post - The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2014, 05:38 AM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the shims are behind the bevel gears (large gears) between the backside of the gear and the side plate of the diff, instead of behind the spider gears (small gears) between the backside of the gear and the outer diff gear (There are washers back there, but not special diff shims).

I'm collecting parts now as I finally have the $$$ to get the Evader going. A couple upgrades are on the way. I the grease I use in my tranny and diff comes from my neighbor's workplace where when they order a new bearing (BIG bearings) it comes with an EXTRA tube of grease while the bearing is pre-greased. They normally throw the extra tubes out, but my neighbor grabs a few here and there and gives some to me, then uses some for his HPI Savage, which is on craigslist: http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/bar/4527733732.html I've seen it run. It's crazy. It's like full aluminum and steel drivetrain/tranny. Awesome unit and weighs about 20lbs.

2.4" wheels I would expect to have high prices on any tires for them IF you can even find them. Maybe I'm wrong, not sure. My tires stand 5" tall on 2.2" rims, so I'm sure I'm putting a load on the drivetrain! lol
Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
Ah , good thing to point out, Nate. Yes, do watch out for those little washers that are at the wide end of each little gear in the diff. Don't loose 'em.
And you were right... 0.047 (1.19mm) for the pins behind the large gears in the diff. Good memory, dude! Wheel pin dia is 0.062 (1.57mm), BTW.

Wear down the OUTER gear teeth on the metal diff? Never. The TOP gear in the tranny needs to be replaced every couple years of hard running, it'll get sharpened. All gears will, I guess, to some extent. But the top gear I think is the one that you just have to keep an eye on as it ages.

I just wanted to call your attention to the gears IN the diff...that they need greasing as well as the tranny gears. Even more so. An use that TrakPower stuff, it really works better and lasts longer.

You are right about 8th scale being expen$ive... Plus, you need a good deal of room, as you may have found out, huh? Yeah, I like the size of my Evaders and the HyperTT.