RCU Forums - View Single Post - Did The Club members bring this FAA stuff on themselves?
Old 07-05-2014, 03:19 PM
Bob Pastorello
My Feedback: (198)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoundDog
Realistically this footage is spectacular and less dangerous than one might think.
1.) No full scale planes in the area.
Don't know that from the video; THAT is the risk!
2.) Out over a lake or body of water where there are no crowds or spectators.
Don't know that from the video; THAT is the risk!
3.) Much easier to keep track of the Quad at night by keeping in or near the fire works as a reference.
Normal vision would be severely impacted by the intensity of those colors; I wouldn't give two cents for ANY form of depth perception remaining, betting it is near ZERO
4.) I would guess (Hope) he also had GPS return to home capability.
And THAT is the Million Dollar issue....these current generation HOBBY grade equipment do NOT have Mil Spec designs, FAA Certification approvals and don't offer transponder or redundant automatic operations. They may have "return to home", but that means little if the primary (and only) on board navigation toy circuit gives up the ghost.

FPV can be done safely and it's up to us to prove to the FAA that it can be done safely. If we allow one form
of R/C to be outlawed soon other types of R/C i.e. Sail planes IMAC Jets will become a target for the FAA.
Try keeping a Sail Plane or a big IMAC model or a Jet for that matter under 400' AGL. JMHO.
I still maintain that until FPV "matures", and the technology gets some stricter performance specification/criterion established, the FAA is *RIGHT* to state that it has to be line of sight, direct vision. I want to have a different view, but the stuff growing on You Tube daily simply furthers the argument in FAVOR of tighter regulation and stricter performance requirements.

The AMA made a huge strategic and tactical error endorsing, supporting, and promoting an immature technology of such potentially great harm and misuse by untrained and uninformed buyers of gadgets for their gratification and "see what I did" mentality.

(My blue comments in the quoted message of HoundDog are added....and not directed at him personally. It was easier to use his post to illustrate some points I was worried about after first viewing that video. I'm not taking shots at anyone - just stating my opinion/perspective.)

Last edited by Bob Pastorello; 07-05-2014 at 03:23 PM. Reason: clarification of comments