RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"
Old 07-06-2014, 01:03 PM
Dick T.
My Feedback: (243)

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I may be a simple mind but I don't see a boogey man in the FAA's Interpretation of the Special Rule for Model Aircraft. It is pretty clear to me the difference between model aircraft for pleasure or business. It is also clear where an FPV differs from a hobby model aircraft and an out of sight aircraft. Two items seem to stick in people's craw; if within 5 miles of an airport or ATC they need to be notified and; the FAA retains the authority to override our Congressional approved special rules if a risk is determined.

Neither is really a problem. Our club field is within 2.0 miles of a city airport on the opposite side of the traffic pattern, has been for twenty years. The FBO and helicopter service know we are there, NOTAMs are posted about our location. When we have our annual public demonstration/family day the ATC, some sixty miles away, is notified. Never had issues with either.

Maintaining communications with both has been to our benefit. Once a full scale crossed our site at roughly 500 feet to land at the local airport. Once there the pilot berated the FBO then telephoned the ATC to complain. FBO overheard the ATC chewing his ***** for not being at pattern altitude, not using the correct traffic pattern and not checking NOTAMs!

Lastly the Federal Government/FAA always has the ending right (correctly or incorrectly) to shut anything down so get over it. The AMA’s congressional work got us this set of rules. If they hadn’t we may not have any voice at all.

The FAA is going to have their hands full with the FPV industry and non-modelers dabbling in it. AMA needs to divorce itself from the FPV end of this issue as enrolling new members has not worked and in the end may be detrimental to recreational R/C model flying.