RCU Forums - View Single Post - Anybody Else Thinks RCGroups.com Sucks?
View Single Post
Old 07-06-2014, 01:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Maj_Overdrive
The problem is RCU is the kiddie table of forums, at least in the car section. Not much real modification going on, just bolt ons. RCU was the first rc forum I found long ago
Well true I kinda gave up on showing cutom builds here as you get 1-2 people to comment on it. Its been like that for a long time I remember insanely cool custom vehicles being made, and outside me and like 2 other people no one would even look at it, but some dude comes with his bone stock slash, paints the body black, slapped a monster energy logo on it, and made a thread CUSTOM SLASH PICS he had like 5 pages of compliments in 2-3 hours...

Theres a a weird mentality around here that only the cheap Chinese stuff is good, whether it's electronics or vehicles. People are almost shamed (sometimes actually) shamed for using or recommending better equipment. Then there's the others who work at a hobby shop and only recommend stuff that Tower/Great Planes/Hobbico carries even though it's no better than the HK stuff (some is the same just rebranded) and is more expensive. And nobody searches for reviews of this stuff on HK or on other forums where reviews abound before recommending or claiming it's the best.
That mentality though has always been here I remember for instance when Flysky radios first came out, and people were saying they were crap cause they were not $300(hell people still do that never tried them)... yes that was the mentality then they google searched, and found 5 complaints about the radio(seriously that was all that could be found, and most were stupid complaints like the color of it...), and were recommending I think it was some spectrum radio which when you looked had a list of complaints where the radio would cut out causing crashes(I saw a ton of them on one model in particular), but hey the FS radio no one bothered complaining cause it was so cheap in that persons eyes.

So you have a rc forum with a user base that only cares if their rc will go next time they pull the trigger. They don't care about modifying or the inner workings of their rc. Half can't search for the instructions for their rc or google anything themselves and have to ask you to google it for them. You expect them to participate more in your build thread than whine like kids at the kiddie table their Happy Meal didn't include the toy they wanted?
Personally I think this is a tad too broad of a statement sure we have a lot of people that do come cause they can't read the instruction manual, but a fair number do custom work, but like I said above just stopped posting it as it almost never generates any feedback I will say though the last project I worked on(6wd scale army truck from a WK) did generate some good feedback from people that has been helping me on it(although I had to put it on hiatus for awhile now so it probably looks like I abandoned it).

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 07-06-2014 at 01:51 PM.