RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"
Old 07-06-2014, 02:08 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hossfly
Going back to some other meetings, etc. and the above ".... initiatives ..." I find some interesting information. James Williams, an FAA manager, and AMA signed an agreement of some kind last Jan. While Rich Hansen, AMA government and Regulatory Affairs, was the only user of the term (just once) "....community based organization...", Williams did not use that term.
Hansen also stated, "The Academy of Model Aeronautics does not advocate, condone or endorse the operation of unmanned aircraft systems and/or model aircraft outside the constraints of federal regulation or FAA policy".

SO what the heck is all this beef about? I certainly have my opinion and it comes under the terms that would be using the $$$ signs. Is your opinion different? Why?
Not sure if this answers your question but it would appear the AMA and FAA had worked some things out but now the FAA is back pedaling on that agreement. It also
appears the FAA is unwilling to follow the law and leave models operated under the AMA safety code alone.