RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"
Old 07-07-2014, 08:11 AM
radfordc
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DocYates
I don't think every little private airstrip likely qualifies for this FAA rule, and that needs to be cleared up. And most all of these issues can be dealt with by issuing a NOTAM in the airport directory that "RC operations are likely in this (described) area". It should not neccessitate a phone call to the "tower" everytime you want to fly, and it should not require permission from the operator of the field. I know most of the places listed on the sectional are nothing more than grass strips, some of which are used for ultralight activities or occasion flying. The RCer need to be aware that if full scale planes are in the vicinity they should be on alert or even land if the need arises.
Doc, there you go thinking logically. Obviously you would not make a good "FAA man". The FAA is very good at finding any tiny violation of the strictest interpretation of their rules. If this new "interpretation" is allowed to stand you can be sure that they will find someone, somewhere to make an example of.