RCU Forums - View Single Post - *** Ultra Sport Brotherhood ***
View Single Post
Old 07-07-2014, 02:19 PM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ready to fly

Radio installation went well. No problems until I tried to balance the airplane. The recommended balance point is 30 - 33% of the chord. About right for a sport pattern plane. The recommended control throws, though, are quite low. I set them up as low rates and added 30% to each surface as high rate.

When it came time to balance the airplane, I was amazed that it took 4 1/2 ounces of lead in the tail. Not liking that idea, I moved my 5 cell receiver battery as far into the tail as possible.

It sits in the space directly behind the single elevator servo, which is the space where the two mini servos would go it you chose that option. With the battery there, I did not have to add any lead in the tail.

Surprisingly, it took a full ounce of lead in the left wingtip for lateral balance.

The final, ready to fly, dry weight is 7 pounds 11 ounces. That is a few ounces above the 7 to 7 1/2 pound weight range specified for the Ultra Sport 60 in the original article in RCM.

OK, do I have a good stand-in for an Ultra Sport 60? Is the Taipan something you can throw together to fly while you are finishing up that Ultra Sport kit-built masterpiece? I hope to find out tomorrow.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0074.JPG
Views:	184
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	2012451  

Last edited by jrf; 07-09-2014 at 09:05 AM.