RCU Forums - View Single Post - Wire Evolution 15cc gas engine ignition cord to receiver?
Old 07-07-2014, 06:53 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The BEC or IBEC as it is usually called helps to eliminate interference from the ignition system from getting into the radio system. Some people swear by them, and some condemn them; saying that you should always use a dedicated and physically separate power supply system for ignition. It seems more and more people however, are converting to using an IBEC with good results.

Now, to answer your question; can you just run the ignition directly off of the receiver battery without an IBEC? The answer is a guarded yes, if you are running a 2.4 gig radio system. Some people will have a heart attack at that statement, but I have been doing so as a test on one plane of mine for about a year now, with no glitches or problems. You surely want to do a thorough range test at varying throttle settings if you attempt this however. Do so at your own risk....

Also beware of voltage problems. Older ignition systems were made for 4.8 volts, and would usually tolerate 6 volts but no more than that. The newer systems coming out have a broader voltage range. Check yours to be sure.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 07-07-2014 at 06:56 PM.