RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA Issues "Interpretation of the special rule for model aircraft"
Old 07-07-2014, 07:09 PM
cj_rumley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkranitz
GUYS, IF YOU WANT TO REALLY HELP (ESPECIALLY IF YOU ARE A MANUFACTURER, DISTRIBUTOR, RETAILER), sign on to this: http://chn.ge/VAv23J

I've been down this road before with regulators and whining about the ENTIRE thing is the wrong approach. I believe the area in which we are most likely to get an immediate exemption is in connection with demonstrations and testing; both areas that are critical to manufacturers and distributors of our products.

Read what I've prepared for the FAA and sign on if you agree. If you do, please pass it along quickly: http://chn.ge/VAv23J

Michael
I'd like to second Bob Pastorello's VERY WELL DONE and wish you well in your effort to dissuade FAA from going overboard with regulation of model aircraft operations.
There is some regulatory material in in FAA's "interpretation" that I find odious and may also adversely affect you as a businessman. Unless you are content to have a market limited to AMA members-only, This passage in the FAA interpretation not previously mentioned in this discussion forum may warrant your notice:

" Model aircraft that do not meet these statutory requirements <meaning section 336> are nonetheless unmanned aircraft, and as such, are subject to all existing FAA regulations, as well as future rulemaking action, and the FAA intends to apply its regulations to such unmanned aircraft."

I read that to say model aircraft not operated according to CBO aka AMA 'programming' (a condition applied to operation in accordance with 336) are not model aircraft as we have known them, but rather sUAS not authorized to be operated at this time or until FAA gets around to making rules that regulate them. IOW, there is no model aircraft operation authorized outside of AMA control, by statute. Consider how that affects your target market.

Surprised me too.....wondering why all the crocodile tears from Muncie................

cj