RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club letter to local airports within five miles
Old 07-09-2014, 06:46 AM
Thomas B
My Feedback: (4)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Hossfly
In all reality, there has been a number of changes in the aeromodeling world since your precedence was set. The number ONE ( # 1) problem is this DRONE society
where anyone-and-all can tour the skies from the ground below it, to out-of-sight in the sky. While FAA can be a #1 stinky T_ _ D, they are going to win until a Court Decision is in their favor. In civil courts, unless it is a plain-view situation, the most money wins. BTDT. That is why lawyers are well compensated.
Personally, if a RC club just has to fly within the 5 mile area of an active airport, then in my opinion as both an active RC flier and many years (41) ACTIVE aviator I am on the side that advising the local air-traffic person/s does not seem to be too much for the RCers to do. Well, if it is, I am sorry for them, but they need to live in a real world like most real people do.
Something as simple as calling in to an airport facility for permission to fly this day seems to me to be very simple and not worth the fact that they are endangering their situation and the situation of the entire hobby-sport.
Hoss, we will have to agree to disagree on the subject of notification vs. permission from airports and ATCs. If 336 wanted us to get "permission", that word would be in the law instead of "notify". I think the intent is clear.

Nothing wrong at all with a model site/club having a productive dialogue with airports and ATC as needed to keep things running smoothly when they are within 5 miles of a qualifying airport. However, a line needs to be drawn it the airport or ATC becomes unreasonable and uncooperative.

i snipped your comments about your financing a field and how other clubs can all do the same thing as it is clear that not every club has the resources or a member capable of a major investment to obtain a club owned site. Let's not forget that wide open spaces here in Texas are still fairly plentiful and sort of affordable compared to the crowded east coast and other areas in the US.