RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 02:18 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Old Fart
Ok but the intakes on a car at the inlet manifold are WAY back under the bonnet (not talking about racing here) and behind all sorts of heat producing things like radiators for coolant and aircon etc,there's a lot of ugly stuff under there which is why cool air intakes became so popular.Nothing like that complicated with our model engines the carby sits in relatively clean air,the temp of that air could be debated,if it's worth it.My main concern is the heat produced by gas saito's in this instance and easy ways to control that problem in a tightly cowled installation.My methanol saito's that are tightly cowled benefit in a tuning consistentcy from ducting the air round the engine properly particularly in summer.Those saito engines are inverted and the carby is up against the firewall in a very cramped spot.For sport flying on 10% they always pull the benchmark prop figures advertised,rightly so because that's all most people want to do with them.

So,cold air intakes or pre heated slightly...

Barry i have a complaint to make here..popey is stealing all the one liners the irresponsible twit..can you do something constructive about that ?
While I agree that a CAI would be of little value on a single of perhaps even a twin, when we start talking 3 or more cylinders on a radial W/the carburetor sitting way back smack dab in the middle if all of that heat, it starts to look like a different story. Add to that a hot exhaust collector ring surrounding the carburetor.

Since the carburetor faces the firewall anyway it would be a simple task to induct air from the fuselage rather than the cowl.

Last edited by SrTelemaster150; 07-10-2014 at 02:52 AM.