RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 07-10-2014, 08:08 AM
Jim Branaum
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FNQFLYER
Drawing from my past once again, hot and high (my experience here was with B727 and 737 a/c) was more of a problem than cold for power repeat power but we hated cold cause the engine (no matter what type) would stop if it got cold enough. That being said I have noticed on numerous occassions (in Cairns) the moisture forming on the intake tube of both single and twin Saitos. The engines thus tuned (a little rich, but not screaming lean) all performed ok. Methinks people are over thinking this. You are not in the competitive flying mode just sports type flyers. As my mate says when I get like this (over egging the issue) get out to the shed and do some building. That being said I agree with Snr and blw with their statements
I do a lot of touch and goes. I have had many a flame out and unplanned landing as my Saito 80 choked on carburetor ice on humid days. Took me a few times to isolate the problem, but the key was the water on the outside of the updraft tube when I got to the airplane. I never found a great solution other than a chunk of wire wrapped around the jug and the updraft tube to the jug because partial power take offs just were not on my agenda. With the wire connection in the lee of the jug just enough heat to prevent the formation of the ice was transferred.