RCU Forums - View Single Post - Larger Revolver
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2014, 07:23 AM
mach2
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I normally burn about 1/3 of a gallon through it before do any real fine tuning. I make sure it has enough power and isn't easy too rich, but I do run then a little on the rich side fir a few days before getting it running like a top.

Open the plug gap now though, for sure. I actually run mine at .026"on the DLE and .028" on the RCGF. Anyway. It does make the engine run much nicer.

I wouldn't leave the engine rich in the long run. It will load up the spark plug and piston top with nasty carbon deposits. It will also spit a little more crap out on your plane. I like less clean up. It's one of the great perks of a gas engine.

So all in all, getting your engine tuned right will...
-give maximum power, or as close to it as is safe for the motor.
-keep the muffler and plane clean
-reduce carbon build up on the top of the piston
-reduce our eliminate the annoying popping and sputtering

It's an easy adjustment too. Simply turn the "L" needle clockwise with a flat blade screwdriver. If you're not familiar with tuning, I suggest a 1/8 turn at a time. A little goes a long way on a gas carb. If you make large adjustments you will end up chasing your tail and get frustrated. I've seen guys in my club do it and they think there is something wrong with the engine.

Fly it, make a turn. Fly it make a turn. Keep doing this until the burble is gone, or reduced to where you can live with it. A little bit is where I like it. If you go to lean, it may make the engine hard to start, and/or die in flight. If that happens just go back an 1/8 of a turn.

Last edited by mach2; 07-13-2014 at 07:30 AM.