RCU Forums - View Single Post - ok heres a question about reciver batterys
Old 07-15-2014, 08:32 AM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

OK Rcworld2000 first good on ya for your choice of batteries the double A sized (which I suspect you are using) 2000Nimh are an excellent choice for the type airplanes you are flying. Yes a larger cell size is called for in certain large airplanes with very powerful servos but that is not your problem.

Welcome to one of the first dilemma's that most folks encounter when they first start flying. And that of course is What to do in this situation.
What follows is exactly what I train all who are interested or I am personally mentoring:

First it needs to be understood for me I make the same suggestions whether or not the battery chemistry is Nicd or Nimh both do suffer a rather rapid self discharge rate. There is no point into going into the exact figures it is only necessary to understand that both do self discharge rapidly.

You charged I suspect if I read correctly likely occurred friday evening as would be appropriate for saturday but if you do not charge and attempt to fly Wednesday, I count five days! That would be downright dangerous and totally unacceptable. For my students they are taught that the only safe procedure is a full minimum charge of eight hours the night before on a battery that has already had at least one forming charge prior for a full fourteen hours.

I do not do unneeded cycling. Now if you miss a day I will admit I have not recharged on some occasions but even this is risky. The caveat should always be in the situation you described, simply recharge the nite before without fail. That I feel is a no brainer and that is of course just my opinion.

Even a loaded VOM May give you what you want to see after five days but it cannot give you any indication of lost capacity due to self discharge untill its to late.

Good battery discipline is a fact of life for RC flight and one of the more difficult things to instill in new folks, every one is looking for the easy way but it does not exist. Learning good battery discipline is a must if we are to be successful.

My apologies if I got preachy but this is an important thread for lots of folks. So what Jetmecho5 said is top advice. If you use Nimh or Nicd always charge over night before the flying day and never later than the next day and if it goes beyond the next day just charge the night before. Don't do unneeded cycling.

John

Last edited by JohnBuckner; 07-15-2014 at 08:36 AM.