RCU Forums - View Single Post - ~~Sig Kadet Brotherhood~~.
View Single Post
Old 07-18-2014, 06:06 AM
BigTeeEldorado

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One last issue before I can close the wing.

Leading edge slats. I've read a bunch on these things and the jury might still be out on their effectiveness, especially on a small model. Couple that with their small structure, will they build straight, how to attach them, what material to use, could they screw up the basic wing effectiveness. This has been a tough one. But I think I have enough of an idea to start with and see how it develops.

The LT25 wing is not very thick and the leading edge has a pretty shallow rise. Slats are supposed to match the original leading edge profile on the outside so as to not change the basic wing design. They create a large opening at the bottom of the wing tapering down to a smaller exit as close to the top of the airfoil as possible to accelerate the air where it would normally separate at high angles of attack. All that combines to make for a pretty thin slat on this wing. (See picture)

I'm going to try my best idea today and I'll either take pictures of the process or scrap the idea all together. There is no question the wing is a good one just the way it is. I think my incentive is the "cool factor" more than anything else.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	001.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	2015141