RCU Forums - View Single Post - RC. Turbine Water Crash
View Single Post
Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 PM
bw5493
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As a USAF Jet Engine Mechanic, I can tell you that you are going to want to send that engine into Jetcat. The temps you see on these with sudden shock to cold temps is not good. We had a KC135 engine years back that caught fire ,and we hit it with fire hoses, and I can tell you it came to a screeching halt! It had to be completely torn down, as the hot section was toasted. It tweaked the burner cans so bad, heat couldn't get them apart. Nothing inside was serviceable except for the fuel injectors and external parts.

I had my P70 overspeed a year and a half ago, the compressor touched the case, and everything had to replaced to the tune of $900, so I think you should be prepared for a hefty bill at Jet Cat. Pray for the best, but expect the worst. I would not run the engine at all. Even if it "seems" okay. You do not know the condition of those parts, and I would hate to see one come apart and kill someone.
Bottom line, when you got your turbine waiver, it states in AMA section 510a:
Any engine involved in a crash where high G loads were probable must be examined and certified as safe
to operate by a manufacturer approved service center before operating and flying again.

As a Leader Member, CD, and Fixed wing turbine waiver holder myself, if I were to see the engine run/fly without being inspected by an authorized service center, I would Ping AMA and recommend to Suspend your turbine waiver. I am not trying to be a dick, but I think that that is putting the public and fellow modelers near you at risk. We already have undue attention on us because of "Drones", we don't need it on us because of turbines too.
We as turbine waiver holders and AMA members are obliged to uphold safety first, regardless. I know its not news you want to hear, but its the truth. I know I will receive flak for saying this, but You guys know what the right thing to do is.