RCU Forums - View Single Post - ESM 50cc Corsair
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 06:58 AM
LBJ
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi sonny! Thanks again for taking the pressure off me on the first flight! You flew and landed her just great.

Kwik, yes the FG-84 as on this thread way back there. I flew her box stock as far as modifications that others have been making. I did use Fred Culbertson's needle valve settings as he found the factory settings to be a bit off. I'll see if I wrote those down anywhere and post them. And from the first run to the first two flights, I haven't touched them. All my cowl baffle work is on the thread here (Page 83). I can clearly say that all that work paid off. As an update, I pulled the cowl this morning and looked at the valve clearances and made a few minor tighten ups, but for the most part, they were still right at 0.0015" (clear) to 0.0020" (interference). I pulled one retract to give a look for any damage and looked at the other still installed with a flashlight saw no damage. They only showed some compression on the grease marks where I bounced a bit on my landing. But, that's how they are supposed to work, so no damage there. She's all back together now and ready to go again.

Kwik, one more thing on that "air bubble" in the carb that Saito mentions in their booklet. I never had one moment of trouble with that issue. We both flew around 5 minutes each and I even did a slow barrel roll and the engine never missed a beat. So, that might be a non-issue and until I have a problem, I won't worry too much about that one. Fred Culbertson (H9 Corsair) said it wasn't a problem for him either. Also, be sure to run the 16:1 gas oil ratio. I recommend Klotz synthetic oil if you can get it in Norway or the other oil Saito calls for if not. That's 8 oz oil per gallon of course.

Below is from Fred Culbertson on the FG-84.

"I am having a lot of custom work performed on the engine. I have had a bearing installed on the main rod as well as replaced the stock intake system (which is a problem) with fuel rods. If you want to check out the custom work being performed you can see it at
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2071116

GO to the last pages to see most of the completed project parts. The FG 84 has an intake that makes the bottom cylinders run rich while the top runs lean so you have to find a happy medium. The needles are very sloppy to set. Also, the instructions state the high needle should be at 2 turns and the low at 5. This is way off.

You high needle should be around 3 ½ turns and the low needle should be around 4. This was tested and confirmed by Horizon and Ray English."

Last edited by LBJ; 07-21-2014 at 07:22 AM.