RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA intentionaly hyping up Drone News. AMA needs to go to WAR!
Old 07-21-2014, 04:59 PM
ira d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick T.
I completely agree and that is why I said the FAA is spot on in their interpretation. While this fellow is competent in FPV flying I believe he is riding a fine line between recreation (AMA's definition) and what the FAA wants to regulate (BLOS). Had a spotter been in the picture one could argue he is following AMA guidelines although he is pushing the VLOS edge. I personally know the location of the video and from where he is sitting the distance out to Morro Rock would make the average large hobby quad a speck and possibly not visible at all.

Some of the more sophisticated hobby quads have controllers that can keep the quad under 400 feet and limit distance via GPS. If people would use those tools they easily stay out of FAA's proposal with the exception of commercial use and can fly FPV all they want.

Of course many do what they want and as long as nothing happens FAA doesn't know. But if something goes sour the FAA can and will find you.
From my understanding the FAA wants to stop all FPV not just BLOS .