RCU Forums - View Single Post - Eflight Blanik 4.2m with turbine?
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 07:37 PM
mullerr

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wren 44Gold Blanik JIDER!

Hello
I thought I would post a few photos now that I have got my glider working well.
I have a Wren 44 Gold with about 10 lbs thrust, it's mounted using some DLE Standoffs, thrust is about 4 degree down.
An extra nose wheel is a must for paved runways, but be sure to reinforce the stock wood tray, I re-glued the tray with Hysol and then a carbon plate with carbon cloth up fuse sides to spread the load.
I did the same for the main wheel, it's also a weak point.
I balanced at 20mm as per instructions, holy crap I stopped weighing at 5 lbs, It takes a lot of lead.
after about 12 flights the fuse started to crack at back side of the canopy, I used some uni directional carbon ( good 1/4 inch diameter bundle) around the inside top of fuse ( by the top window in fuse) then laid up a few sheets of carbon cloth along the fuse sides and up to where the wing bolt goes into wing.
The tail needs to be protected from heat, at first I had some red bull cans cut up as shields, but they have since deteriorated, for now I just have heat tape, it's ugly but works.
I am having a blast with this setup, I never thought my smallest turbine would be mounted to such a large airframe, and preform so well.
I have since drilled out some of the lead, but still figure there is about 5 lbs in the nose.
Recently I had the pleasure of meeting Ali Machinchy, what a nice guy. I was so excited when he was kind enough to fly my glider, I was ready for a list of things to change but was pleasantly surprised when he thought it was the best combination for this airframe he had flown.
Seams that most he has flown are over powered and exhibit trim changes at different thrust settings.
Anyways building this was a breaze and flying it very fun, it really has presence in the air, I had more compliments from spectators in Kentucky about the glider than any of my other jets.
Richard.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	936.8 KB
ID:	2016190   Click image for larger version

Views:	200
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	2016191   Click image for larger version

Views:	196