RCU Forums - View Single Post - Welcome to Club SAITO !
View Single Post
Old 07-22-2014, 06:02 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by taildragger1589
Forgive me for cheating on the pics, but this GHQ looks exactly like mine.
Note the clever location of the needle valve, puts your fingers in the hot exhaust!
It's a .52 ignition engine from around 37 to 1940something.
I've had two of them, my current one turns a 12/6 around 9k on gas.
My first one (back in the '70s) had a piston that was stamped out of sheet metal with the wrist pin holes punched thru it.
It came with a huge reverse pitch aluminum prop, around 16" I think.
I had it on the nose of a Dumas Smoothie control liner.
The engine turned about 6k and just barely taxied the ship on pavement.
Thanks to the JW Ureely, I was able to reel in the lines short enough to whip it into the air.
(ah! the good old days)
(may they never return!!!)

Nick
Yes I see that you liked my pictures of the engine. Yes one had to be a bit careful with the needle valve. But really the needle valve sucked as it has a sharp taper and the engine is almost unadjustable like that. You can't really lean it out just right as you have maybe .001 inch between rich and lean. I included a pic of the broken needle valve I extracted from the glow version GHQ engine, so you can see what the wonderful taper looks like on it. I would surmise that way back in 1938 that they had not figured out the best way to make or use needle valves yet. I don't think that my example was ever run actually or maybe someone tried to run it but gave up as the mounting lugs do not have screw marks on them.

I happen to have one that was setup as a glow engine. It also doesn't appear to have been run either. it does have one of the cool large size low profile glow plugs in it though. I have been considering putting a CDI module on it so that it could use a spark plug again.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	GHQ_Glow_Engine_01.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	2016418   Click image for larger version

Name:	GHQ_Glow_Engine_05.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	2016419   Click image for larger version

Name:	GHQ_Glow_Engine_09.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	336.8 KB