RCU Forums - View Single Post - FAA intentionaly hyping up Drone News. AMA needs to go to WAR!
Old 07-24-2014, 05:44 AM
phlpsfrnk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by krzy4rc
"(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft" is the key.

I contend there are two terms relevant here. Line of Sight and Visual Contact.

Line of Sight is the unobstructed boundary. This does not infer visual contact. You can use the "person operating the aircraft" if you choose. It doesn't change the fact that it is a boundary, not necessarily maintaining visual contact. I chose the transmitter, because of an industry accepted definition, that is the Radio and Wireless Transmission industry which is what we rely on.

Visual Contact is to keep looking at the object (airplane in this case).

This become important because some can use a spotter to keep visual contact and the plane can be flown within the Line of Sight. The AMA has specific rules stating this.

The bottom line is that Congress Dictated to the FAA that Model Aircraft following the rules of an organization such as the AMA (not naming the AMA) is exempt from FAA rules because they are deemed as being operated in a safe manner in the NAS, by definition. The FAA violates Congress' directive with this interpretation.

I do agree with one point of yours..."It is not possible to write in such a way that cannot be misinterpreted by a reader determined to do so."
It's a simple statement;

(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft
  1. of vision: relating to vision or sight
  2. visible: able or intended to be seen by the eyes, especially as opposed to being registered by one of the other senses or by a machine

My guess is that you also have your own separate definition for “visual”. Yes this discussion certainly proves the point of my signature line.

Frank