RCU Forums - View Single Post - Diesel Noob with KMD Question
View Single Post
Old 07-24-2014, 01:22 PM
DaveyMo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings All:

An update on the KMD 2.5. What a sweet engine it has been, thanks to all the help here! It impressed several committed glow fliers at a recent family reunion.

I've got it turning the 8x4 APC prop at 13,000 rpm leaned out; a bit under-compressed with light, coffee-colored exhaust. The contra-piston absolutely refuses to back off (I tried everything) without disassembly and using a wooden dowel and vice to do the job. Thus I'm happy to leave it under compressed in these circumstances and go with it unless someone here has a better idea.

Now a question for the collective wisdom here. It's time to start assembling a C/L ship for this mill. I've in mind a larger training craft for those who are comfortable with 1/2A trainers. It'd be nice to have something that could do loops or inverted flight, but not overpowered for 50' or 60' lines. (Hope I'm not contradicting myself here.)

I've a full-sized set of plans for a Flite Streak, so will consider it if you folks think that it might work. The model has a wing span of 42" with 390 sq. inches of wing area. Text with the plans call for glow power .19 to .35 turning a 9-6 or 10-6 prop. Given this, I wonder if I'm underpowered a bit, but not sure. What do you think? I'm not averse to having the plans reduced by some percentage for a smaller model, though I'd have to make adjustments for the dimension lumber as needed.

Finally, I enjoy tinkering and building almost more than flying. Thus construction would be a slow, fun winter project with air time expected for the North's next summer.

Dave Mo...