RCU Forums - View Single Post - Avanti XLL from Skymaster
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 01:04 PM
Helijet

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a chance to pick up the XXL frorm Kev-o yesterday. It is a solid, well designed airframe, all surfaces have a single wire hinge which I like. The canopy deck is massive and the entire plane can be easily worked on.
Get them to do the door install, mine was well done, clean and bind free. There is some minor clean up, filing and trimming that needs to be done but overall the aircraft is of good value. The external paint quality is also of good value considering the small upcharge but expect some minor blemishes, dents. Keep in mind this is one big plane and you will get more dents just moving it around...:^)
The pipe is exceptionally well made - dare I say, better than TAM and the vectored thrust nozzle is as well.

So...is it worth it?? The finish is not quite as good as CARF but this is externally painted and can be easily repaired if needed. Is it as good as a BVM Ultra Bandit. No...but at 1/2 the price the Avanti XXL is a serious contender in the big sport jet market.
Would I buy another...YES but an all white version where I control the quality of the paint application.
I have a couple of other smaller projects to complete then I'll tackle the big girl with first flights expected soon...as there is not much to do!

Cheers
Dean W.