RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bearing replacement help. Ralph, Bill??
View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 07:01 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberwolf
I agree with tossing the oil also, Lucas makes some very good items, but I do not like what I see here. Syn oil takes so much longer to seat the rings in on a new engine especially if it has hard rings. Myself I do a gallon of dino oil mix and then go to my Syn oil from then on.
Frank can make the rings for you W/O the piston and cyl if you have access to some precision Measuring tools and give him whats needed for sizes.
Everything else I have read here is about dead on to what my own thoughts are. I would put it together and run it and see how it pans out.
Good Luck at the contest.
Yes, I have had Frank Bowman make many rings from my measurements. He hesitates to do so, unless he knows you. Just tell him going in that you will guarantee your measurements or else hold him harmless if they don't fit just right. Once he learns to trust you, he will accept your measurements without hesitation. (If the rings are too wide, you can lap them on a piece of 400 sandpaper and glass, if the gap is too tight, you can file it until it fits.) If it were me, I would take very careful measurements of the ring I.D. (inside the cylinder), O.D. (Cylinder diameter), and width with micrometers. Then put the engine back together for this contest, run your favorite dino oil at 40:1, and in the meantime order in a set of Bowman rings for it. I have never seen nor heard of anyone that didn't have high praise for Frank's rings after once using them. It is a great upgrade for nearly any engine, but especially Chinese engines...

AV8TOR