RCU Forums - View Single Post - BV's letters to AMA and FAA
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 10:14 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

NO, I didn't. I'm taking one hypothetical situation, shooting down a quad by a homeowner as suggested by Lifer, and talking about two very real events and what the possible ramifications COULD be.
Being from western Washington, I'm very familiar with the Seattle area. Within a mile of the Space Needle are Harbor View Medical Center, Swedish Medical Center, and a VA Hospital, all with landing pads on the roofs and all accepting "Life Flight" air ambulance services routinely. There are also TV stations KOMO(Air 4), KING(jointly uses Air 4), and KIRO(Chopper 7). KIRO's studio is literally less than a 5 minute walk while KOMO IS RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET FROM SEATTLE CENTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! To make things worse, this area is also directly under the northern approach path to both Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and King County International Airport(also called Boeing Field). With KCIA less than two miles away, planes taking off or landing there, altitudes of less than 2000 feet are very common. A FPV flying around with an operator not caring about the implications could be disastrous, not only to a plane from KCIA or one of the news choppers but to those on the ground that might be caught up in the possible crash. This very thing happened back on March 18, when a KOMO rented helicopter crashed just after take off. The helicopter landed on top of someone's vehicle, sending the driver to the hospital. The pilot and cameraman both died in the crash. While this is still under investigation, just think about what the results could be to modelers if it was determined to be FPV related.

Last edited by Hydro Junkie; 07-26-2014 at 10:20 AM.