RCU Forums - View Single Post - BV's letters to AMA and FAA
View Single Post
Old 07-26-2014, 08:58 PM
speed is life

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

New model industry and AMA cash flow? FPV & "DRONES"

I'm not a fan of this, the AMA ought to distance itself, I fully agree with the "Bob Violet Letter" to AMA.
And the use if the word "drone"? Well the horses are already out of the barn and AMA can't bring them back.

To wit; the attached pics of an advert from the latest Model Airplane News sister publication.

Seems to me that FPV/quad/drone appeals more to all the non-modeler non-model airplane types that have minimal to NO appreciation or attachment for our hobby and likely have never even HEARD of the FAA.

My opinion? AMA is dazzled by FPV $$$ and is groveling at the altar of ephemeral "membership numbers". The AMA poobahs that run the outfit are hopelessly lost and don't care about the grassroots real RC fixed wing and jet modelers concerns. AMA has essentially become a smaller version of AARP..... an old boys insurance company with a semi-plausable public agenda and advocacy/safety mission.
Well, I carry plenty of personal insurance, were it not for the necessity of being an AMA member to fly at events I likely would not even bother with them.

AMA needs to spin this FPV/UAV/Drone bunch off corporate style into a CBO I will call "ADHD" the "Academy of Drone & Headgoggle Dudes", to be affiliated with Fast & Furious RC Buggy Racing....... Let them have to deal with the Feds.

- Mike
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	399.5 KB
ID:	2017625   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	2017626  

Last edited by speed is life; 07-26-2014 at 09:01 PM.