RCU Forums - View Single Post - BV's letters to AMA and FAA
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 11:14 AM
LarsL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ronnie1952
I find Bob to be right on the money. FPV flying out of line of sight will be our down fall.
The AMAi s also against beyond line of site FPV flying. Their position is that the person flying FPV also needs to have someone present who does have continual line of sight and can/will take control when that line of sight is in jeopardy.

As I have been reading all of the posts, I at times am unclear about what people are against. In some cases it seems that folks are against any FPV flying, even if it is following the continual line of sight protocol by the pilot team. That to me seems wrong. Some posters appear to be against multi-rotor aircraft (Quads, Hexa, etc.). That too for me is wrong. The type of aircraft, as has been pointed out by some here, is not connected to FPV flight. FPV flight can be done with any type of aircraft.

i do recognize the fact that some aircraft today are very easy to fly. Anyone can buy them and with almost no training, go out and fly them in an FPV mode. That in turn allows some folks who are not what we call "model hobbyists" (into RC, Control Line, Free Flight, Soaring/Sloping,, Rotor-wing, etc.), to go out and fly them in ways that reflect poorly on us and them. We can't do anything about that. Can we distance ourselves from those who fly FPV irresponsibly while still allowing responsible FPV flying? I believe so.

Lars