RCU Forums - View Single Post - C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video
View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 01:16 PM
husafreak
My Feedback: (3)

Received 50 Likes on 42 Posts

Time to add some of my experiences with my new Ultra Flash. Unfortunately it wasn't all pretty but it has a happy ending!

First day out having a great time but landing from the third flight my new Cheetah got hung up at a high idle - 60,000rpm. I am too new at turbines to recognize this! All I knew is it wouldn't slow down! I tried brakes but it swung sideways, all the while disappearing down a very long runway. I tried to hold it down with elevator and the brakes again but it bounced on the rough (abandoned airfield) runway. When it came down the pin in the right main snapped and it spun sideways off the tarmac. Hitting the crumbling edge sideways the nose gear pin snapped too! Dear Lord!
Well took her home and patched the wingtip. CARF touch up paints and some elbow grease got it looking new again. FYI "Superfil" from Aircraft Spruce And Specialties is the bomb! It says "Bondo For Airplanes" on the package and it is. My USA Carf Rep Andy Kane turned me on to that wonderful stuff. Key point: I also redid the flap linkage servo arm geometry to get 100mm of flaps. Before I only had about 75mm. This is a lot more drag. I am not using crow.

Second day out we all realized the Cheetah was getting stuck at 60'000 rpm in idle. Not all the time mind you but on the second flight of the day it did. Advice given was to kill it prior to landing but I wanted to know what was happening. So I got her down and stopped with some effort and we saw the high rpm. Normal would be 35,000. I called my Jet Central Rep and was advised to redo the setup, I redid it with some different Tx values and the third flight went great!
Well, starting up for a fourth flight I noticed my right elevator half was waving to me! After shutdown I saw that the elevator halves were not moving together. Something wrong with the servo? Back to the workshop! Not again!
Turns out the servo lead was smashed between the outer cool thrust tube and the top of the stab, it was shorting out against the tube... My fault I guess, I had simply run it across the top of the stab, taped in place with aluminum tape. So I rerouted a new servo lead internally. I dunno why I did it the way I did it first time around but beware! On my UF the cool tube presses hard enough against the stab that it dented it, and of course the servo lead got pinched there!

Well, the third day out was the charm. My UF flies well and I got to play with smoke for the first time in my modeling career. Did 6 flights total and couldn't be happier. Contractors Form Oil and, Powerbox pump, and a Tamjets tube put out a pretty awesome thick trail for this fast ship! Luck I still have it Now for a couple hundred uneventful flights, please, I have earned them!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3430.JPG
Views:	221
Size:	14.4 KB
ID:	2017800