RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need help with figuring out how to hinge this arf
Old 07-28-2014, 06:16 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with figuring out how to hinge this arf

Despite flying for a few years , I still find myself needing to come to the beginners forum! Goes to show there is always something that we need to learn...with that....

I bought a Arfmfg/Skyline/Goldwing Sbach 342 60" quite some time ago. Ive recently been debating on getting started with the build. Upon a very detailed inspection for anything that needs to be done(reinforcement, gluing, modifications etc) I noticed a small issue with the rudder area. It seems to me that there isnt enough meat on the airframe to install robart hinges as originally planned. To be honest, I doubt there is even enough wood there to install CA hinges and not have them pull out. Ive attached a pic of what I can see from inside the fuse. It looks like the only wood back there is the external sheeting and ply framing.

Can someone provide tips on how I could make installing robarts(or even CA hinges) dependable without pulling out. The vertical line you see is where the manufacturer has slotted for hinges. If at all possible, I would prefer not to tear apart the covering to get at this. Ive thought about gorilla glue because of its expanding characteristics, however just don't see less that an eight of an inch of wood(give or take..) being enough to hold on. Maybe Im over-thinking this.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0262.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	2018171   Click image for larger version

Name:	sbach-342-70-o-sky-9.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	345.2 KB
ID:	2018172