RCU Forums - View Single Post - Bro rc Surfer Custom Boards
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2014, 11:55 PM
YPC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lipo Fire alert ! - received this (sad) mail from a mate in OZ - lets not forget how dangerous / damaging the lipo batteries can be !!!
as with myself - Chris also had a Lipo burn out - he was not as fortunate as I was !....lost everything !

hi dominic its chris from south coast of oz have some sad news about bro he was caught up in a lipo shed fire that gutted my whole hobby shed in less then ten minutes destroying six years of obsessive compulsive rc building ):
bro was a surfing legend in these parts of the world and will be sadly missed . just wondering if you can send me an invoice for my insurance claim as evidence of purchase as well as putting me in the in line for a new build very keen to see new larger bro in action might go that way interested in your thoughts once you finish and test . had many great sessions with bro with him out surfing most of the locals most of the time ! bro himself was unbelievably tuff handling many a heavy close out shore dump with ease and always coming back for more . i was charging a six cell 5000mah battery for my newly built eflight beast got complacent from 5 years of trouble free charging left for no more then ten minutes come back to raging flames and exploding lipos . oh well i guess i learned a lesson the hard way now it is a very nervous wait for assessors and investigators to finish there job and hopefully pay me my loses any way looking forward to putting this mess behind and getting in to some new extreme rc !! cheers chris =

Safe measure:
Use an old ammo box - cheap wall safe - steel tool box - or sorts - to charge and transport lipo batteries - since my incident I have had folk share with me that they have had lipo's going off after use - even in the back of the vehicle - treat the lipo battery with RESPECT as if it is a small bomb - it has the potential to do serious damage !!!!