RCU Forums - View Single Post - When does gas and fire not equal ignition?
Old 07-29-2014, 05:49 AM
geebob
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When does gas and fire not equal ignition?

I got my old OMP 80" edge out of the mothballs the other day. Its got a MVVS 35 that I bought used years ago. Charged and checked all the batteries and fueled it up. Started right up and would run about 15 seconds and then die. I figured the walbro carb would need to be rebuilt and sure enough the little screen was clogged almost solid. So I rebuilt the carb put it back on the plane. Choke it with my thumb and its sucking gas like a trooper. I flipped and flipped till the sweat was dripping down my nose and I started to remember why I was spending all my time flying my little blue foam electrics. I figured I have gas so I must not have fire. I pulled the spark plug and grounded it to the top of the engine head and flipped the prop. Not much of a spark so off to Tractor Supply for a new champion dj8j sparkplug to replace the aging brisk uf17 that was in the engine. Grounded the plug to the head and flipped the prop..blue sparks a plenty so I re-install the spark plug and take the whole rig outside confident the problem was solved. After flipping the prop until my right arm felt like it was gonna fall off I give up in disgust. I know I have gas..I know I have spark..how come my little engine refuses to run? Could it be a timing issue? Could the moon not be in the proper phase? Are the stars not in correct alignment? Am I destined to only fly glow and electric? Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks for listening , I'll sulk back to my basement in defeat and watch the mvvs soak in brake cleaner and await your replies