RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need help with figuring out how to hinge this arf
Old 07-30-2014, 08:35 AM
Gray Beard
My Feedback: (-1)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yes, that is a Du-Bro flat hinge and they come in many different sizes. I do find it odd {even for an ARF} that they have such a small TE and LE. There is also a very small, about a 1/16 hinge pin by Du-Bro. Most of these small hinges are located in the electric plane parts shelves at my local hobby shop.
I'm not an ARF person myself but I was assembling them for others a while back and seen some really bad designs.
I built an old school three channel plane this year for a friend. It was originally designed as a free flight around 1942 and the elevator and rudder were completely built from 1/8 hardwood and balsa sticks. I used both the flat and pin type of hinges on it. The plane was a big floater though and electric powered.
I would think the best way of doing yours would be to remove a bit of covering and at least add some depth to that 1/8 TE? Either that or use CA hinges. If done correctly a CA hinge is as good as any. CA hinges get a bad rap from people that installed then wrong.