RCU Forums - View Single Post - Banner ad blocking page
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 10:40 AM
IBobi
My Feedback: (1)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mongo
the real problem is their insane insistence on retaining that old original RCU frame.
that one action would go a LONG way to solving almost every problem listed on the "bugs" page.
I don't think there's been insistence, exactly. It hasn't been a big issue because that's the way RCU has literally always been since it was founded. There's a lot of hard-coded stuff in the site that takes a significant effort to change.

[EDIT]

OK, now that I understand better what's involved...

Basically the story is this: RCU was written -- hand-coded -- the way you see it. That "3/4" page view that you see everywhere but the forums is wayyy outdated, and wayyy difficult to change. It basically means re-creating the entire site from scratch in a different programming language. I do not see that happening any time in the near future.

It's possible we may tackle things like the home page or reviews section. But by and large, RCU works, and works well, and it would be extremely difficult to change.

The good news is, we updated the forums to modern, upgradeable software. That was a big job that took a long time and was fraught with unforeseeable bugs that were worked out over time. The rest of the site is exactly as it has always been.

If and when the page frame gets addressed internally, I will update you guys on progress.

Thanks all,

Paul