RCU Forums - View Single Post - Need help with figuring out how to hinge this arf
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 PM
ro347
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So here is where I'm at currently thanks to your input...I figured I could mask the tail end in order to peel back the covering with the tape acting as a stop. Then, Im guessing, cut out the section that has been masked, install blocks and reinstall same piece, or new piece depending on how it comes off.

OR being that I would like to avoid cutting pieces out of a new, covered frame.....

I could also drill out holes along the tail and glue in dowel rod to add depth for point hinges(Robart type). If I go this route... what would be the best way to glue in? CA would be ideal as it would just soak in, but would that really be enough to hold? If I used Epoxy or Gorilla Glue, most of it would come off when inserting the rod into the hole.

The "X"s in the pics mark where there is a former of what seems to be 1/8" ply. The rudder seems fine as the leading edge seems to be tristock all the way up.

Thanks Joe for the pics. Ive used that method previously on a rebuild I did of a Funtana a couple of years ago. But in that case I had the plane stripped to the bare frame which made it the best method. Here, Im trying to avoid stripping the tail down and keep the covering intact.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	2.20 MB
ID:	2018653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0274.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	1.44 MB
ID:	2018654   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0275.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	1.52 MB
ID:	2018655  

Last edited by ro347; 07-30-2014 at 01:28 PM.