RCU Forums - View Single Post - The cheap Tatra 6x6 build...hopefully
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2014, 05:32 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the music wire today.

I have a plan for the suspension layout that I think may just work.
The idea is to use solid lower links as one normally would....but in place of the upper link will be the music wire.
The upper link for the redcat axle bolts to the top/side of the axle. The bolt holes are 1'' long threw both haves of the trans case.
If I make a "L" in the music wire I can put it threw the screw hole.

I am going to try doing that, and using 1 piece for the front and 1 rear axle. The music wire will have a solid mount on the center of the chassis.
This should give each half of the music wire the job of controlling twist of the axle (since the "L" will make the music wire have to twist as the axles does)
I think the music wire will have enough stiffness to control the axles back/forth twist that a normal solid upper link would control.
The wire should also allow the axle to move up and down....but within a limited range. I am just hoping it will be within the range I want.

The redcat axle's have 2 holes for the upper links' mount. So, on the 2 rear axles I will have a second piece of music wire joining the 2 as a upper link for the rear axle. Not 100% sure this can work...may allow too much flex and give. But if it does work, it will be a very simple layout.

tried to draw a simple "top down pic"
black is chassis
blue is music wire
brown is solid links.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	tatra1.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	2018691