RCU Forums - View Single Post - ARFS + Diluted Interest in this Hobby.
View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 05:19 AM
049flyer
My Feedback: (18)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

The ARF guys are usually in and out of the hobby so fast, about the time you learn their name they're gone. They are often the same ones that try golf and think that buying a $500 driver will make them hit a straight ball. It takes time and effort to do anything well.

There are an incredible number of facets to this hobby it astounds me that anyone could possibly get bored with it. The big ones for me are designing, building, tinkering with engines and checking out what my friends have built. Take away any ONE of those and the hobby experience loses it's luster.

Therefore here is what I do:

First, ignore the hype and continue with the hobby as you always have, do what ever YOU enjoy. Fly what you like, build what you like.

Second and most important, seek out those that share your interest and passion, if you are a builder don't hang out with the ARF guys, if you like engines don't hang with the electric crowd, if you like diesels hang out with others that like diesels. People that don't share your interest don't like your stuff any more than you like theirs.

There was a time when we all flew pretty much the same thing, .25 to .40 size glow planes which we built ourselves, we all had a common interest. Today the hobby is much more diverse and it's unlikely that a guy that likes to build and fly small glow powered planes will have anything in common with a giant scale ARF type except a flying field.

The hobby will never again be like it was BUT if you are lucky you might find one or two friends that share your passion, if not there is always RCU.