RCU Forums - View Single Post - Club Enya
Thread: Club Enya
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 05:42 PM
GallopingGhostler

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts

That makes a lot of sense, Jim, I have to agree. My use of the greater diameter 8x3 would be for my Sureflite Cessna 180. Having an inch more diameter would provide greater thrust and would allow the Enya .09-III to operate optimally within its power band.

Regarding use of wood props versus plastic, I tried both APC and Masters 7x4 plastic props. Given the extra inertia of the plastic, I had a difficult time getting them to tick over by hand flipping. I had to set the needle richer, and it was finicky. After a while, one gets a little frustrated, figuring there must be a better way.

Then I tried wood props, it ticked over right away. The needle setting was less sensitive. It was easier starting and adjusting. The one caveat I found was per observations by Peter Chin:

http://www.sceptreflight.net/Model%2...-III%20RC.html

Props less than 7x4 are not worth running on the Enya, as they are beyond the power curve. Power falls off at the higher RPM's. I flew using a 7x3 wood prop, it flew very .049 like, with not much power. Wnen I went to a 7x6 prop, it became a totally different airplane, now flying with speed I expected. I would have loved to use an 8x3 on the plane, as I have more prop disk area for thrust. I don't have any wood 8x4 props, otherwise I would have tried them. It is just too bad that there are no wood props with pitch greater than 6 in 7".