RCU Forums - View Single Post - Airplane Recommendations
View Single Post
Old 08-02-2014, 09:33 PM
skylark-flier

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by a70eliminator
If your serious about learning to fly RC get yourself a 40-engine size high wing trainer kit of balsa construction, buy the suggested motor and build it yourself, that way when you crash it at least you'll know what it's going to take to get it airworthy again. My friend bought one of those plastic snap together models with battery motor and radio, he brought it to me ready to fly and put it up into the sky, it was real handfull even for an experienced flyer and I don't see how the heck they ever think a beginner could fly it, i would suggest to stay away from those type kits.
100% right on! Serious entry into the hobby is going to take a few $$$$ - sorry, that's just how it is if you're interested in more than the local toy store's wares. Buying a kit does 2 things for you right away - you learn how & why things work, and you learn how to fix them on those occasions where everything doesn't quite go perfectly right. There's a 3rd factor too, you appreciate the plane more when you build it yourself - it's no longer "just a toy", it's a miniature FLYING aircraft that's capable of anything a full-size plane can do, sometimes more capable.

For my money, best high-wing .40-size trainer ever developed is the SIG Kadet. To learn with, I'd recommend the LT-40 version - it's simpler to build, simpler to repair, and incredibly strong. It's also very easy to learn with, very forgiving. You can see it from their website here: http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar..._20Trainers_01

My own personal favorite of the Kadet series is the Mark-II. She's about the same size as the LT-40, same power, but a bit more complex to build and not quite as forgiving for a completely novice flier. You might think of her as a second plane, once you've got the LT40 going good. Her page is at http://www.sigmfg.com/cgi-bin/dpsmar..._20Trainers_01

Before anything though, I'd like to suggest just a bit of research - a road trip. Find the nearest Academy of Model Aeronautics (AMA) - backed local RC club, and go talk to them and see what they can do for you too. AMA is the organization that regulates, protects and insures fliers - most RC clubs will require that you join AMA to fly with them. However, even if you're like me (with no clubs closer than 50 miles) you'll definitely want to join AMA. I, myself, have been a member for 40+ years - wouldn't fly without it.

When you visit the local club, pick their brains. Believe me, most fliers LOVE to talk "planes", and you can learn more from them in an afternoon than you could by going through a month's worth of classes (if such things existed). The club will probably have instructors to help you too, which further strengthens the probability of success right off. Early success if the most important thing of all - do everything you can to attain it.

Hey, welcome to a GREAT hobby/sport/addiction. Take your time, learn it right, you'll have DECADES of fun.

And remember, there are a lot of guys right here to call on - any time.