RCU Forums - View Single Post - oil content test
View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 04:10 PM
rcbence

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil content test

So I have an HPI savage 4.6 and firestorm. Bought a case if werks racing fuel last year. Both my 4.6 and g3.0 didn't last over 1 1/2 gallons.

I broke them in on the fuel using HPI idle method then running them after. Never let the temps get lower than 200f.

Engines didn't last. Sure I had some lean runs not being aware of the oil content. I'm sure I reduced the life instantly every lean run.
Never could get a solid lsn tune on either engine. Honestly had better luck with traxxas 20% fuel.

Both engines sure enough had the pistons go past tdc wear mark when disassembled. Lost compression when warm and lost holding a solid tune.

I'm not blaming the fuel 100% but will no longer run a fuel with so little oil. Especially the first few tanks when the piston is mating to the sleeve.

Werks has 6% total oil with a simple evaporation test.

Measured 300cc of fuel and poured in a tall glass. Lett it sit out a day and 80% was evaporated. Finished off with a heat gun barely holding a boil and was left with just oil.
Put the oil in my Byron's lube booster measuring cup that holds up to 1 oz or 30cc.

Poured all in and got 18 cc of oil. 300cc × .06 is 18cc. Simple.

I find it amazing people saying.....wow! This fuel is solo good! It just revs up and get longer run times!.

I can do that too. Here's how.

Buy nitro. Buy methanol. Buy some klotz benol.

Mix 20% nitro. 5-6% castor and rest methanol.

More energy stored means longer run times and better revs because of less oil. Simple. That's how to make a solid race fuel.

I'm sure the pure 6% castor would protect better as well than a castor/ synthetic blend at 6%.

I did test traxxas power plus too.

Guess how much?

Most say that its crappy oily fuel. Runs hot smokes a lot must have 16% oil.

Nope. Its 10% total. 200cc of fuel. 20 cc was left over.

That's right. Less oil than byron race 2000 which is 12%

I find this hilarious in fact. That traxxas has less oil than everyone thinks. Now they say its a blend....but I believe its mostly castor. The smell while burning....plus the oil that's left behind is fairly sticky.

To make sure I'm actually close to the oil percent I tested some omega I have that claims 17% oil

This one I just measure up 100cc of fuel. If there's 17cc of oil then we got 17%.

And it showed about 16.....so close enough. Might be off 1% at the most.

So traxxas has at least 10% but no more than 11% oil.

Amazing how much more oil plane engines can handle without loading up real bad at idle. Not sure why car engines just don't run as good with 18% oil. Properly tuned on low speed they load up badly at idle and never really clear out unless you stay at wot.

Last edited by rcbence; 08-03-2014 at 05:03 PM.