RCU Forums - View Single Post - C-ARF Ultra Flash build Thread + Video
View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 10:34 PM
Dave Wilshere

Received 735 Likes on 531 Posts

Originally Posted by vic669
Dave

I know you always say the Ultra does not need crow but is there any adverse effects to having crow?

I have crow on my Ultra and I notice that when I slow it down with full flap and crow, it tends to really drop the nose in the turns. It then takes a lot of elevator to correct it. Straight and level it is fine.

I did not notice this on my classic flash. With the classic I could drag it around the sky nice and slow with full flap and crow.
Sorry missed this while in Germany.
There are two affects, changing the relative angle of attack between the root and tip and drag/lift reduction.
The Ultra Flash has much more flap than the Classic Flash, so I don't see the need for drag from crow and the affect I don't like that I have experience on all the UF models I have flown with crow is the sudden loss of lift if you hold it off.
Because we don't fly in them and have accurate instruments giving us speeds that test pilots have said are the magic numbers to do each important stage at it comes down to how the pilot controls the aeroplane and its landing phase. Ali gets on fine with crow and other pilots too, my group all don't use crow and again get on fine without it.

Dropping the nose in turns sounds more like nose heavy, unless you are flying it really slowly with lots of flap and crow...dragging it around. Most crow set ups use a lot less flap, so its still producing some lift. What flap angle do you have and what crow.

Hope that helps

Dave